Assignment #11

Oppression is a prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control. A difference between violence and non violence is when you physically hurt someone & non-violent resistance is when you resist without physically hurting someone. Agency means to have control over your action. Oppressed people should use non-violent resistance because is you use violent resistance it’ll show that your serious and all , but then the police have a reason to hurt you. That’s why if you use non- violent resistance you can put your point across from doing sit ins,speeches, social media post,following directions but having the freedom to talk back without hurting someone.

First off my research project is great evidence for why oppressed people should use nonviolence to agency. The document i chose was “social media activism” that shows how the social media can be used to gain agency by using non-violence because, you can put out quotes and any post to show reissant non violently. This is an Article on the internet made by Jonathan moyer in May 8,2017. Yes this document is trustworthy because it was published on the internet in 2017 which is recent and because the one who published it has no reason to put out false information. For many, social networks have infamously become outlets for proliferating ill-informed political opinions “. This quote is used show that you can use non-violence resistance  gain agency because in the quote it says many social networks became political opinions.

Secondly for my supporting paragraph i decided to choose the Malala speech because she was going through oppression and she fought it with non-violence. This document is about a 16 year old girl who had got shot in the head and survived. This is a speech given by 16 year old Malala Yousafzai to the United Nations General Assembly on July 12 2013. I believe that this is trustworthy because it came from the girl herself witch is the primary source so it’s believable.”Even if there was a gun in my hand and he was standing in front of me, I would not shoot him. This is the compassion I have learned from Mohamed” this quote shows non violence. The quote shows nonviolence because it’s coming from her own mouth saying she wouldn’t even have retaliated by shooting him back or anything but by stating that and what happen in a peaceful way shows non-violence resistance, but if she would of shoot him or did anything physically that’ll be violent resistance.

Lastly this document supports my answer because when oscar grant got killed he wasnt resistancing at all in no type of violent way he was listening and on the floor he was cooperating. This document is basically talking about how oscar grant died at the fruitvale bart station and then its explaining the proteste that they was doing for him. The source is An excerpt from an article titled “In California, Protests After Man Dies at Hands of Transit Police” that was published on The New York Times newspaper’s website.  The article was written by Jesse McKinley on JAN. 8, 2009. This is trustworthy and reliable because uits no reason to be bias about the story of the protest or what happen to oscar grant because there is more than enough evidence there’s a movie about it and a whole lot of different articles. “Transit Officer Johannes Mehserle, 27, pulls his gun and fires a single shot. Mr. Mehserle looks up at another officer, and then handcuffs Mr. Grant. The images have been repeatedly broadcast on local television and streamed online”. This quote is showing how oscar grant died by not even reacting violently. This quote is good evidence because it shows how oscar grate got shot while he was on the ground NOT moving and then got handcuffed witch is showing that he wasn’t resisting violently and shows he was resisting non violently by trying to listen.